Tops and tails encourages students to get up, interact and think about the text they have and the ones they encounter.
Students are provided a portion of a quote on a sheet of paper or cue card. Their job is find the other half of the card. This can be a great icebreaker as students can be required to introduce themselves to people to whom they talk.
1) A definition and the term
2) A date (or a decade?) and its significant event
3) Sentences from a text (students find other half and then, as a larger group, try to put the text in the right order and PHYSICALLY stand in this order)
4) Literacy – Have students discuss why certain matches didn’t work together
1) create your phrases (Make sure you have enough for all your students!)
2) cut in individual pieces
3) give to students
4) Fun ensues.